Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Random thoughts and ?


(just cuz the pic cracks me up, I'm pretty sure I have never sat like that!)

Okay on Sunday I got to go to Target by myself, which is unheard of, but I digress! I had picked up some organic diapers for Addy (we are trying anything to help her poor bum!), a set of pajamas for Addy, milk and a graduation card for Jarika. On the front it says something about a graduating daughter. Anyway, the checker was looking at the front of the card and pointed to the diapers and said, "Wow one in diapers and a graduate, guess you guys weren't planning huh?" I had so much fun telling her that yes, in fact I do have a daughter who is graduating and a three year old in diapers. Both were very planned and one even happened to be adopted so I was pretty sure that we were well aware of the dynamics of our family! She didn't have a response for that! How do you handle it when people need to eat crow or put their feet in their mouths?

Okay, next dilemma/problem/ordeal, whatever you want to call it. Tonight my mom, my brother, sister-in-law and their four kids, and Scott and I and three of our four kids (Jarika had a choir concert) went out to eat to celebrate the boys' spring birthdays. Every time we ever eat at a restaurant it really bothers the servers that we don't get anything for Addy. They ask pretty much every time they come by. Does she want something? A water? Anything for her? No? Okay? Are you sure you don't want anything for her? Well I could just go into the spiel that she is solely tube fed, blah blah blah but I think I need a different way to deal with it. What do you that have tube fed kiddos say without being offensive or gross? Sometimes when people find out Addy is tube fed it freaks them out a little bit and there are just some things that people just don't need to know. I don't care at all that she is tube fed I just don't want to go into it for people that really don't need to know or want to know!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Okay,I have something on both issues:

First,we of course get the comment,in some variation or another,that you got from the checker.They hear 6 kids and their ages and assume,all the time,2 marriages.When I tell them,same husband,tubes tied after the third and the reversed,they are pretty much speechless.People are so interesting with their presumptions and down right rude sometimes... God forbid I mention that Zoey has Down syndrome .. that's a whole other story.

Now,the food thing.We get that too but I just ignore it but at some point one of the little guys,usually Joe says,"She doesn't eat by mouth."But I think the funniest thing I have heard was from my friend Rae that has Sam who is 7 and still doesn't eat:They were out eating and the waitress kept asking and kept asking and finally she said,"We drew straws before we left the house and the one with the shortest,couldn't eat tonight and he lost."the waitress didn't ask again.I laughed so had when I read that!

Love your girl Cammie.she makes me smile everytime I come here!

Denise said...

Cracking up at that picture!!! I just love her!! I get the EXACT same thing from servers.....and Ella isn't tube fed, she just plain old won't eat. It's always..anything for her? some milk? would you like an extra plate? etc. etc. I just respond with..."no she won't eat anything" and they say "really" and that's the end of it.

Stephanie said...

Love the pic. I've still only got one eye open... it took me a moment to to figure out those were her feet!!!! To funny!!

And go with Heather's comment about drawing straws!! can you imagine their face with that one!!

Lacey said...

What a dumb lady! Lets make a dumb comment like that and make people not want to shop there!
I don't have any advice on the feeding. For some reason people don't ask me much if Jax wants food, I don't know if its because he's in a wheelchair and not the highchair, who knows. But if I say he has a feeding tube they usually don't say anything else!!

Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around said...

i don't have any suggestions about the tube fed situation, sorry...
however - the picture of her sitting w/ her legs wrapped by her eggs and feet by her face is just adorable!
also - have you tried using a hair dryer at diaper changes... our pediatrician suggested that when anne had HORRIBLE diaper rash and ever since we just keep one plugged in and on a hook right by the dresser where we change diapers - it really seems to help to dry them off after wiping but before putting a new diaper on... just a thought to try to help w/ the diaper rash. also - one time even the dryer didn't do the trick and the ped. called in a prescription diaper cream - it contained nystatin, maalox & cvs pedia (just reading the outside of the prescription) maybe you could get a scrip for this???

Kele said...

Pres being tube feed for so long, I just pretty much never hesitated to just say "No, she isn't taking anything by mouth yet" and that pretty much ended it, whether they understood how she ate or not.
Would love Addy to come live with me a while so I could dress her and Pres up as twins, LOL!
The pic is just the cutest, and such a Presley thing to do as well!